Pier One marked the first project to advance into reality under the approved Port of San Francisco’s Waterfront Redevelopment Plan in September of 1999. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places, Pier One was built in 1932 to warehouse and ship C&H Sugar across the United States. Nibbi Brothers worked with the State Historic Preservation Office in order to ensure the new construction would not disrupt the original look and feel of historic building.
The existing pier structure was seismically upgraded and new 48” and 20” steel pipe piles were set into the Bay to add additional support to the structure. Inside, a structural steel mezzanine level was added to increase the floor area of the pier. Nibbi self-performed all the structural and architectural concrete work providing a new promenade for public access. A “history walk” through the lobby, along the historic rail track permanently displays century-old collections of waterfront photographs. In addition to the core and shell work, Nibbi performed the tenant improvements for the various tenants. In total, the project is 151,000 square-feet of Class A office space.
The project has been applauded for utilizing sustainable building materials and methods, resulting in the building operating at 10% more efficiently than required by Title 24.
- 2010, San Francisco Business Times, Real Estate Deals of the Year Finalist
- AIA and the U.S. Department of Energy, Top Ten Green Projects
- Urban Land Institutes’s, Best Industrial Redevelopment and Restoration Project
- People’s Choice Award
- London-Based Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, Outstanding Achievement in Conservation