The words “Change, Love, Dignity, Justice” flow from painted hands on the Mason and Ellis sides of the project. Created by prolific public artist Johanna Poethig, and reflects the mission of this project. The 149 Mason Street project is an 8-story, 43,915 square-foot housing project consisting of 56 units of single resident occupancy (SRO) housing for individuals transitioning out of homelessness. There is a community room, common laundry, support services, and administrative offices. The concrete building has a full basement, a 1,500 square-foot landscaped deck on the 2nd floor and common balcony areas on floors 3 through 8. The ground floor space has commercial and retail space.
149 Mason Street Studios is a recipient of a Green Communities Grant from the City & County of San Francisco. Some of the sustainable building elements include:
- All flooring is a sustainable floor tile.
- Vent kitchen range hoods are located at the exterior of the building in 100% of all units
- High efficiency drip irrigation system
- All units are individually metered
- Flow restrictors on kitchen faucets
- Bathroom fans in all bathrooms
- Material for all cabinets and countertops are free of added formaldehyde
- Nibbi exceeded Title 24 by at least 15% and recycled at least 75% of construction and demo waste